[Logwatch-Devel] Date arithmetic

Kenneth Porter shiva@sewingwitch.com
Thu, 06 Nov 2003 16:04:18 -0800

--On Friday, November 07, 2003 9:59 AM +1100 Systems Administrator
<sysadmin@sunet.com.au> wrote:

> 	I'd prefer to have "yesterday" keep its current meaning, and have
> something else represent what you're after.

Any suggestions on a term? My concern today is that to use "yesterday"
effectively, I have to start logwatch at 12:01 am or I'll miss data. I'd
rather  always look at the last 24 hours.

> 	Agreed.  I've been using Time::ParseDate for something similar.
> 	On the other subject, I don't have Date::Manip, but am happy to
> install it as long as I have an RPM.

I mention Manip because I found that on my Red Hat 7.2 system when looking for
modules in the Date class. I think I've seen ParseDate on later RH releases.
The author of Manip, on CPAN, says that it's the Swiss Army Knife of date
manipulation classes and sacrifices speed for completeness. My only concern is
that we be able to parse dates from several different log sources, including
syslog, BIND, and Apache. (Are there i18n issues here? For example, do any of
these sources use non-English month names in a non-English locale?)