[Logwatch-Devel] My logwatch Todo list

Who Knows quien-sabe at metaorg.com
Sat Aug 7 16:35:23 MST 2004

Mike Tremaine wrote:

>As long as I'm think about this I thought I'd write it down. Here are
>the issues/features that I think need to be dealt with.
>

>1) logwatch.conf needs to be expanded. There are lots of service
>configuration variables that need to be found and moved into
>logwatch.conf and commented. That way normal users can get the most out
>of specific configurations.

One thing to keep in mind when you are thinking about config changes is
local preferences.

For instance, as a user whose MTA is postfix, I should not need to edit
the logwatch.conf every time an upgrade occurs.

Someone went to a great deal of work a while back to create great log
parsing for the courier imap services.

It took me a bit of digging after my last logwatch upgrade to learn that
someone else contributed a more generic set of imap routines that work
but don't get all my courier entries or look NICE to me.

While occasionally local setting would need to be changed by/during an
upgrade, it wouldn't be the norm.

Just my 2 cents.

Jim

--