[Logwatch-Devel] My logwatch Todo list

Paweł Gołaszewski blues at ds.pg.gda.pl
Mon Aug 9 04:11:27 MST 2004

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004, Mike Tremaine wrote:
> 1) logwatch.conf needs to be expanded. There are lots of service
>    configuration variables that need to be found and moved into
>    logwatch.conf and commented. That way normal users can get the most
>    out of specific configurations.
> Example: In then sendmail service there is an $UnknownUsersThreshold =
> 0; which is a nice feature (even though it was broken). I just fixed it
> and moved it into logwatch.conf.

Sure, this options need to be unified.
Simillar things are made different way in various filters...

> 2) Code review of all the services. This is ugly but after seeing the
>    secure and automount bugs it really needs to be done. Basically all
>    the filters should be checked to see that they are getting all their
>    values set.
>
> Example: From automount we saw lines like this
>
>    elsif ($ThisLine =~ /^mount\(nfs\): entry .* lookup failure$/) {
>       $Failed{$Mount}{'nfsl'}++;
>    }
>
> Where $Mount was not set in the regex but instead was "assumed" to be
> set above in another one. This style of course is easy to break once the
> log format changes.

Yes, you're right.

For me more important thing is some library for display. Now it's made
really ugly, flexible, but some function for making table would be really
nice (look into pop3 or imap filter... i don't want to think about
changing some entry there...). this is just an example, there is many
things like that: postfix filter has a lot of similar enumerations...

> 3) Mail Module. Now that we have 3 different possible mail calls (mail,
>    mailx, sendmail) it makes sense to try and move all that to an
>    external library. Either in Logwatch.pm or something like
>    Logwatch_Mail.pm. Once it is ripped out of the main script it can
>    really become more modular.

I would add one more mail call - sendEmail :)))
http://marvin.criadvantage.com/caspian/
With that will be possible server _without_ any mail server :)

> Thats everything that has been lurking on my mind, and as I get free
> time I fully intend to do all these. But if anyone wants to beat me too
> it ;)....

well, I would add one more thing: standarization of filters. Every filter
is made by someone else and made different way, with different
philosophy...

--
pozdr.  Paweł Gołaszewski