[Logwatch-Devel] Logwatch 5.2 Released

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Tue Jun 29 20:52:52 MST 2004

--On Friday, June 25, 2004 12:07 PM +0200 Pawe³ Go³aszewski
<blues at ds.pg.gda.pl> wrote:

> After review....
> /usr/libexec does not exist in FHS. Simply. None package should use it.
> If scripts are arch-dependent - should be in /usr/lib/<package>
> I not - /usr/share/<package>

Saw a similar question on another list today and the developer chose
libexec. I'd also point out that automake has the $libexecdir variable,
which gets passed to rpmbuild. It seems like the latter variable would be
appropriate in the configure machinery for deciding where to put the
additional scripts, and then the packaging system (ie. %makeinstall) can
decide where the scripts should go.

I'm wondering why FHS lacks mention of libexec? Perhaps they've just failed
to codify another common practice. (I need to check their list archives,
though, to see if they have a reason for omitting it.)