[Logwatch-Devel] How to disable a service check?

Markus Lude lude at informatik.uni-tuebingen.de
Wed Apr 6 05:19:47 MST 2005

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 01:46:40PM +0200, Peter Bieringer wrote:

> On Mittwoch, 6. April 2005 13:40 +0200 Markus Lude wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 11:02:38AM +0200, Peter Bieringer wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >
> >Hello,
> >
> >>sorry, it's a logwatch-user question...but perhaps one can answer me
> >>here,  too.
> >>
> >>Simple question: I'd like to watch all services except "sendmail"
> >>(because  this service checker isn't smart enough to detect that no
> >>sendmail is  installed on the system...) - how?
> >
> >in conf/logwatch.conf you can enable and disable certain services.
> >Normally all services are enabled:
> >  Service = All
> >To disable some services just add for example
> >  Service = -sendmail
> >  Service = -sendmail-largeboxes
>
> Ah, ok, why is this not mentioned in:
> 	/etc/log.d/logwatch.conf
>
> Looks like some lines of notes are missing after:
>
> # You can also disable certain services (when specifying all)
>
> -> currently not mentioned, how...

Which version of logwatch and which operating system do you use? Do you
use a package from your distribution or the latest tarball?

In the 6.0.1 tarball the part of option Service looks like the following:

# The 'Service' option expects either the name of a filter
# (in /etc/log.d/scripts/services/*) or 'All'.
# The default service(s) to report on.  This should be left as All for
# most people.
Service = All
# You can also disable certain services (when specifying all)
# If you only cared about FTP messages, you could use these 2 lines
# instead of the above:
#Service = ftpd-messages   # Processes ftpd messages in /var/log/messages
#Service = ftpd-xferlog    # Processes ftpd messages in /var/log/xferlog
# Maybe you only wanted reports on PAM messages, then you would use:
#Service = pam_pwdb     # PAM_pwdb messages - usually quite a bit
#Service = pam          # General PAM messages... usually not many

Regards,
Markus