[Logwatch-Devel] Service Script self-configuration

Gary Allen Vollink Gary.Vollink at CorVu.com
Fri Jun 10 06:46:19 MST 2005

Is there an official stance on having a service script read that
service's configuration file prior to doing it's work?  I haven't found
any that currently do, but I was wondering, because I'm thinking of
exploring this route.  The idea being to take logwatch one more step
into 'it just works'.

I've been hacking around and noticed that most service scripts are based
on "default shipping" configurations, but a large number of the messages
that are being picked up and sorted in some form or fashion are
configurable (not all packages, but some).  I don't know how easy it
will/won't be.  Besides the difficulty in finding a package's
configuration file, there's the overhead involved in parsing the
configuration (which, when done across multiple services in a nightly
run, could be cumbersome).

This could also be a case where some automatic 'makefile magic' might
come in handy... use a Makefile.PL to build a script based on parameters
found across the system... When a 'watched' log file is found, but
hasn't been configured - run the Makefile magic - and continue
processing with a slightly customized script.

What do you (all) think?