[Logwatch-Devel] Service Script self-configuration

Bjorn L. bl_logwatch at mblmail.net
Fri Jun 10 21:48:28 MST 2005

Gary Allen Vollink wrote:

> makes me wonder if logwatch itself would benefit from a 'plugins' style
> folder - shipped default with a 'README' - where users could simply dump
> their own overrides without fear of an upgrade overwriting,

Yes, that would help.  I think 'rpm' keeps modified config files
with the .rpmsave suffix, but currently you still have to merge
the two (old and new) config files.

 >>    Also, many configuration files have constructs like '#include', and
 >>    specific rules on duplicate declarations (Are they cummulative?

 > Do you see a case where this would differ within a given service, as
 > that would be my biggest concern?

Even logwatch itself has that issue :-).  Parameters Service and
LogFile, for example, are cummulative, while most others are not.
This has an effect on the question above with user overrides
(should the user-specified Service and LogFile override or
add to the shipped default?)