[Logwatch-Devel] Outside libs

Mike Tremaine mgt at stellarcore.net
Tue Mar 22 17:58:02 MST 2005

Subject hijacked... :)

On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 11:22, laurent.dufour at havas.com wrote:

> In the future do you think we should go with more and more system("")
> calls or use already existing  perl modules I think particularly of :

Here is my take on this [for what it is worth], any module that is
bundled with Perl 5.6 is fair game since there are code issues that
require 5.6 as the minimum release. Beyond that if you want to pull in
external perl modules I don't see a problem so long as... 1) You can
package it and all dependency into ~/lib/ [where Logwatch.pm lives] 2)
You don't install a platform dependent module. I think the flexibility
that we've come to enjoy in Logwatch should be protected at all costs.

Along this line I could see extracting the mail functions into a perl
module that we can just call without worrying about
mail/mailx/sendmai/postfix and whatever options are needed to make it
work....

--
Mike Tremaine
mgt at stellarcore.net