[Logwatch-Devel] Outside libs

laurent.dufour at havas.com laurent.dufour at havas.com
Wed Mar 23 11:38:55 MST 2005

>On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, Mike Tremaine wrote:
>
>> Subject hijacked... :)
>>
>> On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 11:22, laurent.dufour at havas.com wrote:
>>
>> > In the future do you think we should go with more and more system("")
>> > calls or use already existing  perl modules I think particularly of :
>>
>> Here is my take on this [for what it is worth], any module that is
>> bundled with Perl 5.6 is fair game since there are code issues that
>> require 5.6 as the minimum release. Beyond that if you want to pull in
>> external perl modules I don't see a problem so long as... 1) You can
>> package it and all dependency into ~/lib/ [where Logwatch.pm lives] 2)
>> You don't install a platform dependent module. I think the flexibility
>> that we've come to enjoy in Logwatch should be protected at all costs.
>>
>> Along this line I could see extracting the mail functions into a perl
>> module that we can just call without worrying about
>> mail/mailx/sendmai/postfix and whatever options are needed to make it
>> work....
>
>Absolutely, I agree with Mike 100%.

Mike, Kirk

I totally agree with you, CPAN perl modules depandancy can quickly become a
nightmare and I think we shoud get rid of the weird sutff that system("")
cause with different OS.
I enjoy the idea of Mike to build our own perl module to send email, we
could also put a df like and a du like function in it that will make
logwatch totally flexible.

>--
>Kirk Bauer <kirk at kaybee.org>
>http://linux.kaybee.org | www.autorpm.org | www.logwatch.org

Laurent DUFOUR - HAVAS IT
Vice Chief Technical Officer - Directeur Technique Adjoint
2 Allée de Longchamp - 92281 - Suresnes - France
tel: +33 (0)158478830 - fax: +33 (0)1 58478815
mailto:laurent.dufour at havas.com
http://www.havas.com