[Logwatch-Devel] Outside libs

Paweł Gołaszewski blues at ds.pg.gda.pl
Tue Mar 29 05:31:39 MST 2005

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 laurent.dufour at havas.com wrote:
> >> Here is my take on this [for what it is worth], any module that is
> >> bundled with Perl 5.6 is fair game since there are code issues that
> >> require 5.6 as the minimum release. Beyond that if you want to pull
> >> in external perl modules I don't see a problem so long as... 1) You
> >> can package it and all dependency into ~/lib/ [where Logwatch.pm
> >> lives] 2) You don't install a platform dependent module. I think the
> >> flexibility that we've come to enjoy in Logwatch should be protected
> >> at all costs.

Well, if instalation of that private copies of modules could be ommited -
it's good way.
Example:
~/lib/		- logwatch modules, developed here.
~/lib/bundle/	- perl modules that are copies of known modules. Can be
		ommited

I don't like to have copies of various libraries in many places. I would
like to have possibility to use existing modules by logwatch.

> >> Along this line I could see extracting the mail functions into a perl
> >> module that we can just call without worrying about
> >> mail/mailx/sendmai/postfix and whatever options are needed to make it
> >> work....
> >Absolutely, I agree with Mike 100%.
> Mike, Kirk
>
> I totally agree with you, CPAN perl modules depandancy can quickly
> become a nightmare

And I do not agree with that.
What for to develop next perl module when something is ready and working.
Most of CPAN modules are stable and interface for them is not changed too
often. If it is - there is in most cases easy way to fix it.

> I think we shoud get rid of the weird sutff that system("") cause with
> different OS.

_This_ is nightmare :)

--
pozdr.  Paweł Gołaszewski