[Logwatch-Devel] Outside libs

Mike Tremaine mgt at stellarcore.net
Tue Mar 29 21:26:43 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 14:40, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> --On Tuesday, March 29, 2005 2:31 PM +0200 Pawe³ Go³aszewski
> <blues at ds.pg.gda.pl> wrote:
>
> >> I totally agree with you, CPAN perl modules depandancy can quickly
> >> become a nightmare
> >
> > And I do not agree with that.
> > What for to develop next perl module when something is ready and working.
> > Most of CPAN modules are stable and interface for them is not changed too
> > often. If it is - there is in most cases easy way to fix it.
>
> One can wrap the requirements in evals and simply not provide certain
> functionality if a particular module isn't available. I believe I've seen
> this done in SpamAssassin or perhaps MIMEDefang.

One of problems with CPAN [for our use] is the requirement of a c
compiler. Not all modules, but some do need to be compiled and they need
to be compiled with the same compiler that perl was built with. [Under
Solaris there is a work around called perlgcc -> /usr/perl5/bin/perlgcc
-MCPAN -e shell].

But even so not all production boxes are going to have a compiler.
Better to stick with perl solutions that we simply stick in the ~/lib
directory.

As far as the issue with system calls mentioned I know I sort of brought
up getting rid of cat and zcat and df and whatever the biggest problem
is speed I think. We will be hard pressed to make a perl routine that is
faster the cat.

--
Mike Tremaine
mgt at stellarcore.net