[Logwatch-Devel] initprint mail mailx nail etc...

Mike Tremaine mgt at stellarcore.net
Wed Nov 16 18:05:18 MST 2005

I guess it is time to bring this up again since someone on the logwatch
list pointed out that SuSe is not shipping with /bin/mail installed but
rather is using "nail".

The initprint routine that handles the call to the mailer currently has
3 or 4 different mailer calls to handle Linux vs SunOS vs mime-encoded
html... With the SuSe issue and the fact that others will turn to nail
as a solution it means that it is time to go back and fixed this right.

Here is the solutions I can see.

Go with a pure sendmail call, I've got existing code samples that will
handle this no problem. Exim and Postfix have sendmail compatibility so
generally sendmail is probably more standard then /bin/mail. It also
likely to be about half the amount of code.

Or restructure the code so that more of the command line flags are
handled by the logwatch.conf "mailer= variable" rather then hard coded
into this subroutine. That way if a distros want to change
from /bin/mail to /use/bin/nail or /usr/sbin/sendmail or whatever it
would have a chance of happening cleanly.

The first solution is easier in that it would probably take about 30mins
to code and test. But I figured I'd post this before I actually dive in.

As always, thought, comments, outrage :) send it all.