[Logwatch-Devel] Re: preserving variables (Bjorn L.)

Mike Tremaine mgt at stellarcore.net
Mon Oct 3 13:02:26 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 12:44, Willi Mann wrote:
> > [Note: if you package logwatch for other distributions, I have
> >   a question for you at the end.]
> >

> > Attached is a patch to the scripts/logwatch.pl code.  This patch
> > introduces a mechanism to make variables persistent across logwatch
> > updates.  The user can create files that specify the values of
> > variables that override the defaults shipped with the logwatch
> > distribution.  Let me know if any of this is not clear, as it
> > will become the basis to document this new feature.
>
> In principle, this mechanism seems to be a very good idea. However, I
> don't understand why you make so complex.
>
> Why don't you just make 3 directories:
>
> logwatch.org-defaults (for FHS compliance somewhere in /usr/share)
> distribution-defaults --------------""----------------------------
> /etc/logwatch/conf.d/ (as we have it since day 0)
>
> Having local.conf, /etc/logwatch/conf.d and an override.conf is too
> complex IMHO. Or did I misunderstand something at this point?

Well let me take a shot at this. This idea really grew out of the
thought that some Admins might have several boxes running logwatch for
which they spent a fair amount of time modifying the .conf files to work
right for their systems. Along comes the next update and they have to do
it all over again. [Or at least check and see if anything new was added
to the .conf files.]

After talking this over we came up with 2 ways to do this. They both
have the same effect and they are both totally OPTIONAL. You can have a
single file called overrides.conf OR you can create a new directory
called local.conf which clones the ~/conf structure. The choice is
really based on the complexity of the installs. In most cases
overrides.conf is easier BUT if you do a whole of custom configuration
its easy to get confused.

Do you have to use this? No.
Will most people use this? No.
Does it make it easier to keep customer configurations? Yes.

Does that make it any clearer or am I just making it worse :)

--
Mike Tremaine
mgt at stellarcore.net
http://www.stellarcore.net