[Logwatch-Devel] what if mailto is configured as ''? (fwd)

Kirk Bauer kirk at kaybee.org
Tue Feb 7 17:58:32 MST 2006

A reasonable suggestion in my opinion..

--
Kirk Bauer <kirk at kaybee.org>
http://linux.kaybee.org | www.autorpm.org | www.logwatch.org

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 16:30:13 -0500
From: Kurt Hanson <kurt_hanson at hotmail.com>
To: logwatch-suggestions at logwatch.org
Subject: what if mailto is configured as ''?

Hi Kirk --

I cluelessly thought I could get logwatch emails to stop by changing the value
of the MailTo key in logwatch.conf to the empty string.

My system: RedHat EL 4 Update 2, i.e. logwatch v 1.113

Instead, the mail command inside logwatch.pl would fail, this message:
You must specify direct recipients with -s, -c, or -b.
goes to STDERR, and that in turn ended up going to email. That alone is a
fairly cryptic message, but at least the logwatch context did appear in the
email.

Its certainly debatable whether any change should be made to logwatch.pl, but
IMHO defensive programming is justified where the cost is low. So perhaps an
early check on whether the spec'd output type is config'd sensibly. If not, and
if the specification is nonetheless reasonable (this case?), then logwatch.pl
should simply exit quietly.

Kurt Hanson
Sr SE