[Logwatch-Devel] Re: [Logwatch] logwatch

Mike Tremaine mgt at stellarcore.net
Sat Jan 21 08:55:53 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 10:55 -0600, J J Urich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a 150 linux clients mounting an NFS server for student home
> directories.  We have logwatch scheduled to run at 4am in the morning on
> each client.  The /etc/log.d/scripts/services/zz-disk_space , which is
> called by logwatch is doing a df -hP |grep '^/dev/' .  This is a problem
> as it is thrashing our NFS server with 150 NFS clients all doing a df at
> the same time.  If all you are interested in is local file systems as
> the |grep dev command is doing, why not do a df -kl |grep dev so that
> NFS mounted file systems are not checked?
>
> Just a suggestion.  Not sure if this is a logwatch issue or a Redhat issue.
>
> Please advise.

Interesting case. So the NFS server gets overwhelmed but the requests.
It is not so much a bug as a configuration problem in you type of
environment. The "-l" flag to df would certainly fix this for you, just
having that added in like so "df -P -h -l | grep '^/dev/'" would be
enough.

However I don't see that this would be something we'd want to set by
default. Perhaps I could do something in the config file to set a flag
for keep local. So in your case you'd have to set the flag once on all
the clients but it stick even after upgrades after that. [If youa re
using Logwatch 7.1+]

[I'm cc'ing the devel list to get some more opinions on this.]