[Logwatch-Devel] nightly run for yesterday - got 2005 entries...

Bjorn L. bl_logwatch at mblmail.net
Sun Jan 22 18:37:45 MST 2006

B Wooster wrote:
> I've not used vsftpd in a while, and my vsftpd.log had entries in 2005.
>
> So, for last night's run, when logwatch summarized all Jan 21 entries,
> for vsftpd, it picked out Jan 21 2005 entries!
>
> Threw me off for a while, trying to figure out who was using FTP at my
> site, until I figured out the 2006 vs 2005 issue...

vsftpd uses the ApplyStdDate filter, which matches two date formats.
The most common one does not have the year (and that's what syslog
uses).

Because vsftpd uses its own logfile, we could change it to check
the year as well, provided it is the only format it uses - I don't
know if older versions used the format without the year.

Finally, I believe that this situation will only arise if a single
log file spans a full year - a situation I believe is very uncommon.