[Logwatch-Devel] Re: [Logwatch] logwatch-7.2.1

Mike Tremaine mgt at stellarcore.net
Thu Jan 26 08:07:46 MST 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 13:23 +0800, Uwe Heinz Rudi Dippel wrote:
> running OpenBSD 3.8, I still find the install 'difficult' and don't
> fully understand it.
> I'd rather do the manual install, but the README is wrong:

We've been trying to improve the DOCS so our bad. Let's see what we can
help fix up now that we've got some good feedback from an OpenBSD user.

> Untar logwatch.
>
> mkdir /etc/logwatch
> mkdir /etc/logwatch/scripts
> mv local.conf /etc/logwatch/conf

These files will start out empty in any case they are for you do add you
on configuration options that will over ride the default.conf options.

> So I used (reluctantly) the sh install_logwatch.sh;

Just reading the install_logwatch would also give you a pretty good idea
of what it was trying to do.

> which kind of works; but
>
> #################################
> Preparing to install Logwatch
> Enter the path to the Logwatch BaseDir
> [/usr/share/logwatch] : /usr/local/sbin/logwatch
> ### Using /usr/local/sbin/logwatch [will modify logwatch.pl]
> Enter the path for the Logwatch ConfigDir [/etc/logwatch] :
> ### Using /etc/logwatch
> Enter the dir name to be used for temp files [/var/cache/logwatch] :
> ### Using /var/cache/logwatch
> Enter the location of perl [/usr/bin/perl] :
> ### Using /usr/bin/perl
> ### Installing
> install_logwatch.sh[181]: makewhatis: not found
> Created symlink for /usr/sbin/logwatch
> You need to setup your cron job for logwatch, something like
> 2 0 * * * /etc/logwatch/scripts/logwatch.pl >/dev/null 2>&1
>
> The last line is wrong:
> /etc/logwatch/scripts/ is empty.

ouch did I really write that :/ it should say /etc/sbin/logwatch
or /usr/share/logwatch I fixed it in CVS so that it echo's out $BASEDIR.

> /usr/libexec/makewhatis exists, though, but doesn't work when inserted
> into the script:
> /usr/libexec/makewhatis: -s: not a directory
> at /usr/libdata/perl5/OpenBSD/Makewhatis.pm line 133.
> (There is no option '-s' in OpenBSD; so what should it do ?)

Good question. This is where we need some help so OpenBSD has
the /usr/man/man8 directory which is good but makewhatis does not let
you say what section... So you good try it as "makewhatis -
u /usr/man/man8" and see if that works.

By works I mean you should be able to type

man logwatch [and get the man page]
or
[mgt at dwarfstar ~]$ man -k logwatch
logwatch             (8)  - system log analyzer and reporter

Let us know if "makewhatis -u" is enough to update the manpages and if
it doesn;t take too long. [The point of doing the -s was to avoid
rebuilding all the databases, on a slow machine that can be painful. for
example on my Sparc 20 2x75mhz it can take hours not something we want
the installer to wait for.]

Anyone with FreeBSD and NetBSD should let us know if makewhatis works
the same for them so we can add a general BSD switch for this step.