[Logwatch-Devel] BIG corporation looking for logwatch RPM for SuSE, paid support

Mike Tremaine mgt at stellarcore.net
Thu Oct 19 18:42:32 MST 2006

Tommy Butler wrote:
> On 10/19/06, *Hugo van der Kooij* <hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
> <mailto:hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org>> wrote:
>
>     Now would be a great moment to get it included. Have you asked SuSE if
>     they can add it the distro? Money does not seem to be your problem
>     to lure
>     them.
>

> I would rather see money go to the developers than to Novell.
> Projects do better when they have money.

I can't speak for the "logwatch developers" but I can make these
observations. Kirk is the ultimate copyright holder on most of the
Project files. He started it, he provides the infrastructure and he gets
to have the most say on things. However the Logwatch Project it is not a
"organization" that is designed to accept  money for support. Logwatch
is under the MIT license so anyone if  free to use it as they see fit,
you can even sign a contract to support it, but the "Logwatch Project"
as whole signing is not going to happen [imho]. Most of the developers
are like you we use it in our everyday lives or jobs, we tweak the code,
we send in our patches, and logwatch grows and grows.

Now if you offer Kirk enough money maybe he'd quit his job and support
Logwatch for this big company full time. Having spent a few too many
nights with 3AM support pages from people living on the otherside of
this country I can say "no thanks ;p".

Hugo's Idea is probably the best. Lobby SuSE to pick it up. We've had
some recent reports from SuSE 10 users and other then some little quirks
it seems to be working. Some who was motivated could certainly roll a
RPM for it rather quickly.