[Logwatch-Devel] Fwd: Improved configuration hierarchy

Markus Lude lude at informatik.uni-tuebingen.de
Thu Feb 14 12:18:37 MST 2008

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 10:25:18AM -0800, Mike Tremaine wrote:
> Kirk Bauer wrote:
> > Not sure if we want to separate default and dist... but if we weren't
> > treating all directories equally I think we should.
> >
> > Unfortunately these days it is all I can do to forward these to the
> > list, I'm not doing as much pre-screening as I normally do.  Hopefully
> > this is a useful patch.

As I understood it,

default.conf/ -> default logwatch configuration
dist.conf/    -> changes made for some distribution (usually from the
                 package maintainer)

Both of the above usually in /usr/share/logwatch or some similar
directory.

/etc/logwatch/conf/ -> local changes

It should be enough to touch the stuff in /etc/logwatch/conf/. Unless of
course you are a package maintainer. The OP should better move his
changes from "dist" to "etc".

HTH,
Markus