[Logwatch-Devel] Fwd: Improved configuration hierarchy

Bjorn L. bl_logwatch2 at mblmail.net
Thu Feb 14 22:52:50 MST 2008

[Comments at the end.]

Markus Lude wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 10:25:18AM -0800, Mike Tremaine wrote:
>> Kirk Bauer wrote:
>>> Not sure if we want to separate default and dist... but if we weren't
>>> treating all directories equally I think we should.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately these days it is all I can do to forward these to the
>>> list, I'm not doing as much pre-screening as I normally do.  Hopefully
>>> this is a useful patch.

Yes, I share Markus's view.  "dist" refers to Linux (or other OS)
distributions.  For example, I know debian makes use of the dist
directory.  To provide a historical perspective, there is no standard
for naming log filenames, or which service writes to which log.  That
created conflicts, and required many changes between distributions in
the form of diff patches.  The "dist" directory structure was set up to
minimize those changes - the changes are now self-contained in files
that need not change between releases, and therefore the patch files do
not need to be modified for new releases, every time the source file is
changed.

Going back to the original problem, one solution might be to create a
new package for your environment, for your servers.  The modifications
are distributed in your new (internal to your environment) package.  If
you are using the default Logwatch distribution, you can place these
modifications in the "dist" directory itself, as otherwise it would be
empty.  The key is that the updates would happen through the package
update process.

Another solution is to centrally-mount (share) the /usr/share directory
among your servers.  That is precisely how that directory was defined to
be used in the Linux Filesystem Hierarchy Standard.  I realize that is
not often done, because of relatively cheap storage, but Logwatch was
modified to comply with that standard.  That's also why the variable
data (working files) go into /var, and the local modifications go into
/etc, as defined in the spec.