[Logwatch-Devel] Possible bug v7.3-6.el5: "Can't exec "sendmail"...

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com
Mon Jul 28 14:09:59 MST 2008

----- "Michael Tautschnig" <mt at debian.org> wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > The logwatch.conf file has
> >
> > mailer = "sendmail -t"
> >
> > As noted above, it was working, now it is not which seems to be the
> centered area of the issue.  In Debian/Ubuntu based machines I have
> seen this as
> >
> > mailer = /sbin/mail
> >
> > as well which I am guessing is the modification between distros
> here.  As noted in the logwatch.conf comments above, the author is/was
> going for a "one does" all for mail programs for those wishing to have
> the results returned as such.  I am guessing something got tweeked
> here perhaps since the upgrade from v7.3 to a patched version seems to
> be the issue.  Worst case, I might see about rolling the systems back
> for this and seeing if this resolves things or not.
> >

> What about
>
> which sendmail
>
> or
>
> locate sendmail
>
> ? I'd guess that /usr/sbin is not in your path (anymore), or rather
> not in the
> PATH used by the cronjob.

Close, but that did lead me to try things as "root" vs. "sudo ..." the cron.daily link of /etc/cron.daily/0logwatch.  Seems that the sudo setup for this particular account does not give full root paths whereas root did just fine, which is atypical for the senior system admins here.

Disregard the request and note.  My apologies, and thanks for the assistance. :-)

--- Crawford