[Logwatch] Newbie question on logwatch scheduling

Kirk Bauer kirk@kaybee.org
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 11:13:49 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Joe Follansbee wrote:

> I've been receiving logwatch reports for a while now and they've been very
> helpful, including helping me catch a suspected crack attempt. However,
> I've noticed that I seem to be recieving these reports later and later in
> the day. I'd like logwatch to run at midnight system time. I'm fairly
> Linux savvy, and I noticed that there's no cron listing in crontab for
> logwatch. I also looked in the logwatch.conf and didn't seem a
> scheduling parameter. And I surfed through the mailing archives and
> didn't see an answer to my question. How is logwatch scheduled? And how do
> I modify the scheduling?

It creates a symlink to itself in the /etc/cron.daily directory.  This
directory is processed daily by an entry in /etc/crontab (usually).  You
can simply remove this symlink and create your own entry in the crontab
to run logwatch whenever you desire.

--
 Kirk Bauer -- CmpE, Georgia Tech -- kirk@kaybee.org -- Avid Linux User
     http://linux.kaybee.org | www.autorpm.org | www.logwatch.org