[Logwatch] Newbie question on logwatch scheduling

Kenneth Porter shiva@sewingwitch.com
Fri, 01 Nov 2002 16:35:23 -0800

--On Friday, November 01, 2002 11:13:49 AM -0500 Kirk Bauer
<kirk@kaybee.org> wrote:

> It creates a symlink to itself in the /etc/cron.daily directory.  This
> directory is processed daily by an entry in /etc/crontab (usually).  You
> can simply remove this symlink and create your own entry in the crontab
> to run logwatch whenever you desire.

Alternatively, do as I do and change the run-parts entry in /etc/crontab to
run the dailies at midnight. You can also create more entries and
additional directories to run a group of scripts at some other interval. I
do this to run my DShield reporting script 4 times a day.

BTW, the run-parts machinery is there to help packages perform periodic
functions without having to edit a crontab file. All the package has to do
is drop a script in the right /etc/cron.* directory. Several other
subsystems use directory-based management to support package-based systems,
such as /etc/xinetd.d, /etc/pam.d, and /etc/rc.d/init.d. Even Logwatch has
the potential for this. A package could supply its own Logwatch scripts to
be dropped into appropriate subdirectories in /etc/log.d.