[Logwatch] kernel physical device errors

Kirk Bauer kirk@kaybee.org
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 16:15:03 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Lance Lovette wrote:

> Over the last week, dozens of messages like the following were recorded in
> /var/log/messages:
>
> kernel: DAC960#0: Physical Device 0:3 Sense Data Received
> kernel: DAC960#0: Physical Device 0:3 Request Sense: Sense Key = B, ASC =
> 47, ASCQ = 00
> kernel: DAC960#0: Physical Device 0:3 Request Sense: Information = 00000000
> 00000000
> kernel: DAC960#0: Physical Device 0:3 Errors: Parity = 1, Soft = 0, Hard =
> 0, Misc = 0
> kernel: DAC960#0: Physical Device 0:3 Errors: Timeouts = 0, Retries = 0,
> Aborts = 0, Predicted
>
> I expected LogWatch to bring this to my attention but it did not. Now I'm
> recovering from a failed drive. Is there anything I can change so LogWatch
> will notify me of critical errors such as this?

I think messages just like this should be reported, but I personally
don't have the log messages, so I have not implemented that yet.

Is this from a Linux kernel?  This looks different than drive errors I
have seen in the past.

--
 Kirk Bauer -- CmpE, Georgia Tech -- kirk@kaybee.org -- Avid Linux User
     http://linux.kaybee.org | www.autorpm.org | www.logwatch.org