[Logwatch] kernel physical device errors

Lance Lovette lance.listserv@optimost.com
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 16:22:42 -0500

Yes, the server is running RedHat 7.2. It makes me wonder what else LogWatch
won't report. Maybe it's better to turn off LogWatch and have the logs
mailed to me daily so I can manually scan for problems. The notices from
LogWatch are empty most of the time anyway.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kirk Bauer [mailto:kirk@kaybee.org]
Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 4:15 PM
To: Lance Lovette
Cc: logwatch@logwatch.org
Subject: Re: [Logwatch] kernel physical device errors

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Lance Lovette wrote:

> Over the last week, dozens of messages like the following were recorded in
> /var/log/messages:
>
> kernel: DAC960#0: Physical Device 0:3 Sense Data Received
> kernel: DAC960#0: Physical Device 0:3 Request Sense: Sense Key = B, ASC =
> 47, ASCQ = 00
> kernel: DAC960#0: Physical Device 0:3 Request Sense: Information =
00000000
> 00000000
> kernel: DAC960#0: Physical Device 0:3 Errors: Parity = 1, Soft = 0, Hard =
> 0, Misc = 0
> kernel: DAC960#0: Physical Device 0:3 Errors: Timeouts = 0, Retries = 0,
> Aborts = 0, Predicted
>
> I expected LogWatch to bring this to my attention but it did not. Now I'm
> recovering from a failed drive. Is there anything I can change so LogWatch
> will notify me of critical errors such as this?

I think messages just like this should be reported, but I personally
don't have the log messages, so I have not implemented that yet.

Is this from a Linux kernel?  This looks different than drive errors I
have seen in the past.

--
 Kirk Bauer -- CmpE, Georgia Tech -- kirk@kaybee.org -- Avid Linux User
     http://linux.kaybee.org | www.autorpm.org | www.logwatch.org