[Logwatch] how to do the no archive

Kenneth Porter shiva@sewingwitch.com
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 10:54:09 -0700

--On Sunday, October 13, 2002 3:40 PM -1000 KH6GMP <kh6gmp@hawaii.rr.com>
wrote:

> A dummy to Linux but I have done rpm stuff before but this noarch thing
> has got me.  whats difference between noarch and src.   As I remember all
> the rpm files i worked with didnt have either of those. I ran the noarch
> one and it gave me all kinds of conflict messages. am i supposed to give
> a different command when the noarch is there, I guess I installed
> logwatch before with a gz file or something. HELP

A binary RPM can be created to work on only one kind of machine, such as
Intel (.386.rpm), AMD (.athlon.rpm), Alpha, SPARC, etc. An RPM that can run
on any architecture uses noarch.rpm. These are generally script-only RPM's
like LogWatch. A source RPM (.src.rpm, also called a SRPM) contains the
source code used to create a binary RPM. See http://www.rpm.org/ for more
information.