[Logwatch] Feedback for new logwatch architecture & question....

Systems Administrator sysadmin@sunet.com.au
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 22:00:46 +1000 (EST)

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 seberino@spawar.navy.mil wrote:

> You seemed open to discussion and help on
> new logwatch architecture.  So here goes...

	That's right.

> What do you think of Autotools (GNU Build System)
> for Logwatch??? People are familiar with it.
> I just learned it and could help you there.

	I have a few thoughts on this:
1.	In general, a good idea
2.	I think ExtUtils::MakeMaker would fit our situation better (this
	is a module distributed with Perl)
3.	Personally, I was just restructuring the internal architechture of
	logwatch in such a way that it would allow development of the kind
	of features I was after, while still being completely compatible
	with what Kirk's logwatch architecture (ie. the current one) does.
	The use of Autotools/ExtUtils::MakeMaker is really one for Kirk to
	decide, since I'm not in charge, and don't want to fork the
	project.

> My daily logwatch report tells me how many
> times I became root and log in with ssh.
> Can it also say the *times* these events
> happened???

	Well, that's really one for the maintainer of that script, but
hopefully that will be a lot easier with the architecture I'm doing.

	:)

--
Tim Nelson
Systems Administrator