Fw: [Logwatch] Logcheck

Kenneth Porter shiva@sewingwitch.com
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 00:53:15 -0800

--On Friday, January 24, 2003 5:32 PM +1100 Systems Administrator
<sysadmin@sunet.com.au> wrote:

> One short-term possibility would be to have it run on an hourly basis
> and e-mail you today's logs, but the problem with that is it would include
> the logs from past hours too.

That's been a long-standing problem with logwatch: the date arithmetic is
wanting. It crudely looks only at the date rather than computing a full
timestamp from a log entry and doing time arithmetic with finer
granularity. Ideally I'd like to run it an arbitrary time and have it show
only activity for the last 24 hours. Any Perl coders want to volunteer to
improve this?