[Logwatch] Re: Generic way to exploit an insecure /tmp file creation - Red Hat 7,8,9 (Re: Red Hat 9: free tickets) (fwd)

Systems Administrator sysadmin@sunet.com.au
Fri, 11 Jul 2003 09:55:04 +1000 (EST)

	If I understand correctly, this post from Bugtraq refers to the
logwatch program.  I haven't seen it here, so am posting a copy.

--
Tim Nelson
Systems Administrator
Sunet Internet
Tel:  +61 3 5241 1155
Fax: +61 3 5241 6187
Web: http://www.sunet.com.au/
Email: sysadmin@sunet.com.au

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 17:13:21 -0700
From: Stephen Samuel <samuel@bcgreen.com>
To: Spybreak <spybreak@hysteria.sk>, vuln-dev@securityfocus.com,
     bugtraq@securityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Generic way to exploit an insecure /tmp file creation - Red
    Hat 7,8,9  (Re: Red Hat 9: free tickets)

I actually *would* describe the bug below as a logwatch bug.
If you have a uid=0 program calling shell scripts from
data like filenames, those filenames should be sanitized.
It would be easy enough to scan the filename for unexpected
characters and refuse to use them on that basis.

something as simple as:

if ($command =~ /[^\w]){
	carp "Unexpected filename: [[$LogFile]]. Not used\n"
}else{
     	`/bin/cat $Command`;
};

I believe that PERL actually has a pragma that you can set that
should cause it to complain about cases like this. (sorry --
don't have my book here with me).

--
Stephen Samuel +1(604)876-0426                samuel@bcgreen.com
		   http://www.bcgreen.com/~samuel/