[Logwatch] Logwatch, Red Hat 9 and Mail

Systems Administrator sysadmin@sunet.com.au
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 09:22:48 +1100 (EST)

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Sean Buck wrote:

> I have a system that had been running an older version of Logwatch on an
> older copy of Red Hat (7.2, I think).  I just discovered that it has not
> been mailing the logwatch file to the sysadm user since the upgrade.
>
> The system was upgraded to Red Hat 9, and, this afternoon, I upgraded
> logwatch to the current release (5.0) on the web site.  I went through the
> logs and found that the output is being generated, but it is getting hung up
> in the mail queue.  According to the config file, it is using the /bin/mail
> program to deliver the message.  I am getting an entry in the Maillog file
> is showing an error "cannot connect to 127.0.0.1", and it stuffs the message
> into the clientmqueue directory.
>
> Has anyone seen this problem or have suggestions on fixing it?

	This sounds like a mail problem, not a logwatch problem.  So you
should probably be looking at the doco for your MTA (sendmail, postfix,
exim, qmail, courier-mta, or whatever you're using).  Of course, I could
be wrong, but you didn't give us enough info to determine that.

	Thanks,

--
Tim Nelson
Systems Administrator