[Logwatch] logwatch too verbose

Gerald Teschl Gerald.Teschl@univie.ac.at
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 12:58:07 +0200

Hi Kirk,

I just tried the latest version of logwatch (4.3.2) on one of
my servers. But for the following reasons it is way too verbose:

1) iptable logs:

   From 131.130.1.11 - 146 packets
       To 193.170.117.2 - 146 packets
	<sniped 146 lines>

Now it lists all 146 packages and there are about 5 entries like this.

Suggestion: If there are more then 10 packets to different ports,
just print a summary "146 packets to 120 different ports".

2) sendmail

Connections Rejected due to load average::
     Load Avg 12: 6 Times(s)
     Load Avg 13: 2 Times(s)
     Load Avg 14: 2 Times(s)
     Load Avg 15: 3 Times(s)

The listing does not give any usefull information. Something like

Connections Rejected due to load average: 13 Time(s)

would suffice IMHO. Moreover, I get 200 lines like

-----------------------
  Unknown users:

   03eicletq@esi.ac.at
       from kiwi1.citicorp.com [192.193.79.20]    1 time(s).

<sniped 200 similar lines>

Again, I suggest to print only something like "Mail to unknown users: 200 Time(s)"
if there are more than 10 items.

BTW, the optimal solution for this, would be to define a sub for generating listings
like

bla bla: x Time(s)

This sub could sort the entries by x and if there are more than 10, print the top10
plus "... more entries omitted"

Keep up the good work,
Gerald