[Logwatch] Logwatch on Windows

Brian Dunbar Brian.Dunbar at plexus.com
Mon Aug 22 08:35:20 MST 2005

Assume I can push cygwin to the Windows 2000 system, and Perl from
Active State.  Can logwatch work on a Windows 2000 server?

Setup - I have a set of 2003 EE servers to care for.  Each server
prints to a set of print server device via IP address.  The major fly
in my ointment is when the folks in manufacturing wish to change
their entire setup around, massive intervention can be needed for
these devices as they have static IP addys - and while they usually
'just work' after being moved this is not always the case.

My idea is that I know the MAC addy for these print servers.  I can
scan the DHCP logs for a given set of MAC addresses, grep out the IP
and shove that into the print server's table.  But how to do that?
I'd use the logwatch perl script but (whooo hah) I don't know if this
will work nearly as well on these new (to me) Windows machines as
they do on Solaris.

Any ideas if this has been 'made to work' on a win32 system? I'd
surely appreciate any feedback.

Brian Dunbar
System Administrator II
Desk: (920) 751-3364