[Logwatch] logwatch suggestion

Mike Tremaine mgt at stellarcore.net
Fri Jul 8 09:14:39 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 04:08, Pan, Aguang wrote:
> Dear Sir,
>
>    Our company is using Linux for E-mail and of course the logwatch
> written is great tool. However we have a small problem when using this
> logwatch file. Because we have so many E-mails everyday so the
> logwatch can not send the check result but send an E-mail with the
> below errors:
>
>     /etc/cron.daily/00-logwatch:
> postdrop: warning: uid=0: File too large
> send-mail: fatal: root(0): Message file too big
>
>    I am wondering it is possible for the logwatch to write everything
> to a file and then send that file instead of putting check result in
> the message body?

Yes... you can tell logawtch to "--print" and then push the results to a
file.

What mail system are you using? Postfix I assume by the postdrop. You
might try tuning down some of the content. [The sendmail service of
logwatch has lots of threshold code so that the reports are not so long.
The postfix report could probably use this also.]

--
Mike Tremaine
mgt at stellarcore.net
http://www.stellarcore.net