[Logwatch] upgrading logwatch 5.1 to 6

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Mon May 16 14:24:48 MST 2005

On Mon, 16 May 2005, Marty Hoff wrote:

> On Sun, 15 May 2005, Jonathan D Herbach wrote:
>
> > 	perl -MCPAN -e 'install File::Temp'
> > and now I have File::Temp as a part of my perl 5.6.1.
> >
> > But when I again try to install the rpm for LogWatch as follows I get the
> > following error--
> > 	rpm --install logwatch-6.0.2-2.noarch.rpm
> >
> > yields
> >
> > error: failed dependencies:
> >        perl(File::Temp)   is needed by logwatch-6.0.2-2
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> rpm --install --nodeps logwatch-6.0.2-2.noarch.rpm
>
> to ignore the dependencies.  Since you installed File::Temp through CPAN
> rather than as an RPM, there is no way for rpm --install to know that it
> is there, so you have to tell it to ignore the dependency.

If you want CPAN module AND want RPM compatibility: Install CPAN2RPM.

It will create a RPM package from CPAN packages. This will fix most of the
dependency issues for you while allowing you to follow CPAN.

I will caution anyone NOT to go into the dependency hell through forcing
package installation by ignoring dependencies.

I think you will find --nodeps abundantly along with good intentions on
that infamous road.

Hugo.