[Logwatch] logwatch does not run from cron now (fc4,lw7.2.1)

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Sat Apr 15 09:35:51 MST 2006

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006, Mike Tremaine wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-04-15 at 07:53 -0500, unruhtech wrote:

> > Can't exec "sendmail": No such file or directory at /usr/sbin/logwatch line 941,+<TESTFILE> line 2.
> > Can't execute sendmail -t: No such file or directory
>
> Logwatch can not find sendmail in your path. If you have sendmail you
> can either expand the mailer value in /etc/logwatch/conf/logwatch.conf
>
> Add something like
>
> mailer = "/usr/lib/sendmail -t"
>
> Or fix your PATH so sendmail is found. If you do not have sendmail then
> let us know what mailer you have "mail mailx nail etc...."

/usr/lib is not something you need in your $PATH.

However the syntax shown is the LSB format so any LSB compliant linux
system will run it. Even if you only have postfix or another one must
handle /usr/lib/sendmail with the -t option.

If one runs a system with config files stored in RCS then you are not
running a standard system. Taking some time to verify what changes one
needs to make after an upgrade are considered essentail skills one might
expect from someone running RCS.

Keep in mind that logwatch has changed over time to be more LSB compliant.
Keeping old config files may in fact be more damaging then going along
with the update and check in the new changes afterwards.

Hugo.