[Logwatch] logwatch.conf

Mike Tremaine mgt at stellarcore.net
Wed Jul 12 07:05:43 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 15:47 +0200, Tomislav Parčina wrote:

> Mike, I have received logwatch's e-mail. Thank you for helping me out. I don't understand how come it was problem with sendmail?! Anyway, I'm glad it's all settled now.
>
> Thanks', bye.

You are welcome. The problem has to do with a code change we made to the
main script and most likely an old configuration file on your computer.

If the logwatch.conf does not get upgraded to have the new default
mailer, which is sendmail, then the mail will not work. We had to do
this to get away from all the special cases that were required to send
an email. Before we had code to detect "/bin/mail" for linux
and /bin/mailx for solaris and then people asking what to do when they
had no mail but had "/usr/bin/nail"...

So we went back to sqaure one and said "well almost everyone will have
sendmail, we will code for that and then figure out how to make the
output stream work with more exotic setups in the future".

So far you are only the second person that I've heard of that ended up
in this situation were the config file was wrong. Sorry it was such a
pain.