[Logwatch] subject line, centralized syslog

Mike Tremaine mgt at stellarcore.net
Tue May 30 11:22:16 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-30 at 13:14 -0400, Shawn Stricker wrote:
> I am also having problems differentiating between 4 different hosts
> reporting to the same centralized syslog-ng  maybe it is just the
> fact that i'm using the version in gentoo's portage but it seemed
> like i was missing a few service scripts as well, such as dropbear
> and dnsmasq (services on my openwrt router)

Don't know what version is in portage but the report tells you. Current
stable is 7.3  [CVS still says 7.3 but it has some patches not included
in the last stable.]

Also note that there is a HOWTO-Customize-LogWatch file include in which
Bjorn really tried to gather all the possible answers to basic usage
questions. So read through that for some good hints about how to go
about things. Logwatch is pretty flexible once you get an idea about
what it. More esoteric setups can be achieved by creating small wrappers
that grep out the data into a temp area then calling logwatch with "--
logdir " to re-map where the base logs are.