[Logwatch] Logwatch will not report

bizzy admin at bizz.co.uk
Wed Jan 3 08:15:21 MST 2007

Hugo van der Kooij wrote:

> Could you see if anything more recent works better? the given version is
> rather old considering we are now at version 7.3.2

I don't think Logwatch itself is the problem, merely the messenger. I've
just been digging in /var/log. I wonder if the prob is with logrotate or
even with crond itself (but crond is running). Here is a typical section of
the directory of the 'bad' server for, say, mail:

-rw-------   1 root     root        0 Dec 31 04:02 maillog
-rw-------   1 root     root        0 Dec 24 04:02 maillog.1
-rw-------   1 root     root        0 Dec 17 04:02 maillog.2
-rw-------   1 root     root        0 Dec 10 04:02 maillog.3
-rw-------   1 root     root   252192 Jan  3 14:05 maillog.4

Whereas on the 'good' server we do not get files of the form <servicelog>.x
- only this corresponding line:

-rw-------   1 root     root  1805768 Jan  3 14:12 maillog

On the presumption that logwatch parses maillog then I get a result from
this latter file on the good server but not from the empty maillog on the
bad server. This is an unknown area to me - but it would be great to get up
to speed. Can you help?

Regards,
Stuart