[Logwatch] newbiew

Tom Metro tmetro+logwatch at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 09:46:32 MST 2007

Anil Thapa wrote:
> how do i run this automatically with everyday schedule ?

The answer to that is somewhat distribution specific, but will pretty
much always involve the cron scheduling program.

On a Debian system, this is controlled by the script
/etc/cron.daily/00logwatch, which essentially just runs
/usr/sbin/logwatch each day.

What distribution are you using and did you install logwatch from a
package or from the tar file?

> 2) i have another linux box which gives me error like this
>
>   Can't exec "sendmail": No such file or directory at
>   /usr/share/logwatch/scripts/logwatch.pl line 1006, <TESTFILE> line 2.
>   Can't execute sendmail -t: No such file or directory
>
> How can i fix this.

Modify/create the file /etc/logwatch/conf/logwatch.conf so it contains
the line:

mailer = "/usr/sbin/sendmail -t"

while adjusting the '/usr/sbin/' portion to reflect the location of your
sendmail command. This command:

find /usr/bin /usr/sbin/ /sbin /bin /usr/lib -name sendmail

should help you find where it is located. If it turns up nothing, you
might need to install a Mail transport Agent (MTA), such as Postfix.
Search your distribution's package repository for such a package.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA