[Logwatch] Concerning Postfix

Bob Hutchinson hutchlists at midwales.com
Mon Nov 12 15:14:14 MST 2007

On Saturday 10 November 2007 12:08, Tom Ziemer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using the one that comes with ETCH: logwatch 7.3.1-5.

For some reason, Debian are a bit slow on logwatch updates, that's a pretty
old version, so I would suggest that you remove the builtin version with
aptitude or apt-get, having saved a copy of (I think the path is
right) /etc/logwatch/logwatch.conf.
Then upload the latest version of logwatch from

ftp://ftp.kaybee.org/pub/linux/logwatch-7.3.6.tar.gz

tar -zxf logwatch-7.3.6.tar.gz
cd logwatch-7.3.6
chmod 700 install_logwatch.sh
./install_logwatch.sh

Then, just to be sure, compare the settings in your old one with the default
one which is in /usr/share/logwatch/default.conf/logwatch.conf and put any
changes from what is in the default into /etc/logwatch/conf /logwatch.conf

something like

MailTo = email at address
MailFrom = Logwatch
Print = no
Detail 10

That's what I have

Try that and if it fails or makes a mess of postfix log parsing, rollback ;-(
I'm running qmail so I can't comment on how logwatch parses Debian's install
of postfix, but my guess is it will just work.