[Logwatch] logwatch is DOA - need help/suggestions

Dale Morin dale at mustanginternetservices.com
Wed Oct 1 05:17:20 MST 2008

Logwatch is version 7.3.6, the package from ubuntu version 8.04.

It ran fine Monday morning at 3:30am (from my cron entry, not the
00-logwatch one) and Tuesday morning my logwatch report was MIA.

Running "ps -efl | grep logw" showed the processes running but doing
nothing.

Since installing logwatch, I have added a number of custom scripts and
conf files, so I suspected one of them could be causing the problem.  I
added "Service = "-XXX" lines for each of my custom services into the
logwatch.conf file, but that made no difference.

So, I ran this from the command prompt, figuring that named would be a
simple service to use as a test:

logwatch --service named --range yesterday --detail high --print --debug 100

This is the output:

Command Line Parameters:
    Log File List:

    Service List:
[0] = named

Config After Command Line Parsing:
mailer -> /usr/sbin/sendmail -t
tmpdir -> /tmp
pathtocat -> cat
range -> yesterday
hostname -> ns4
logdir -> /var/log
encode -> 0
print -> 1
save ->
archives -> 1
pathtozcat -> zcat
html_footer -> /usr/share/logwatch/default.conf/html/footer.html
debug -> 100
splithosts -> 0
mailto -> admins at mustanginternetservices.com
mailfrom -> root
pathtobzcat -> bzcat
output -> unformatted
html_header -> /usr/share/logwatch/default.conf/html/header.html
detail -> 10
html_wrap -> 80
multiemail -> 0
numeric -> 0
Service List:
[0] = all
[1] = -boundips
[2] = -chkrootkit
[3] = -rkhunter
[4] = -sec_action
[5] = -serverload
[6] = -tripwire
[7] = -vnstat
[8] = -zz-network
[9] = -zz-sys
[10] = -eximstats

LogFile List:

Config After Everything:
mailto -> admins at mustanginternetservices.com
mailfrom -> root
pathtobzcat -> bzcat
output -> unformatted
html_header -> /usr/share/logwatch/default.conf/html/header.html
detail -> 10
html_wrap -> 80
multiemail -> 0
numeric -> 0
Service List:
[0] = named

LogFile List:

AND IT STOPS HERE.  No output, the job never ends or produces any
additional output.

Disk space is not an issue.  I ran "apt-get update" during the day
Monday (after logwatch ran) and the only update was to libc6.

I reinstalled logwatch to reset back to what should have been a stock
setup, but still no luck.

Help!  Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

--
Dale Morin, Mustang Internet Services, Inc.