[Logwatch] logwatch is DOA - strace -f output included

Mike Tremaine mgt at stellarcore.net
Thu Oct 2 08:05:52 MST 2008

Dale Morin wrote:
>> Run logwatch under strace -f to see what logwatch (or its called
>> programs) is waiting on.
>
> 0> cat logwatch_strace_output
> 2378  execve("/usr/sbin/logwatch", ["logwatch", "--service", "named",
> "--range", "yesterday", "--detail", "high", "--print", "--debug",
> "100"], [/* 19 vars */]) = 0
> 2378  brk(0)                            = 0xa058000
> 2378  access("/etc/ld.so.nohwcap", F_OK) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
> directory)
> 2378  mmap2(NULL, 12288, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE,

Well the next thing I would try is  a clean install of the CVS version.
I pushed out a tar ball here.

http://www.stellarcore.net/downloads/logwatch.20081002.tar.gz

If you unpack that and use the install_logwatch.sh you can install it
somewhere out of the way like /opt/ or /usr/local just answer all the
questions make a /tmp/logwatch_cvs directory and let it use that for tmp
so that it is really out of the way of the other version. Then try
running that one to see if it also dies.

The only other questions I can think of are related to SELinux or
anyother security software that might be stopping it. Do "dmesg" and
what ever else to see what is going on.