[Logwatch] central loghost server parsing questions

Dennis Stoker dbstoker at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 15:20:29 MST 2009

I am a newbe to logwatch. It looks great for watching logs on individual
servers.

How do I parse logs with logwatch on a loghost server?

My central logging server has server logs in the path
/disk1/syslog-ng/<server_name>/<month>/<day>. These logs  do not have the
sub directory structure that /var/log has. Is there an easy way to get
logwatch to process these?

When I run the command: logwatch  --logdir
/disk1/syslog-ng/db1dr/09/2009-09-02 –range today –print

I get information from my loghost server that is from the /var/log directory
path. It dose not matter what I put in the --logdir  option as it seems to
just process the local /var/log path.

Is there a way to fix this without changing the logwatch script?

Does it need the standard sub directory structure that /var/log uses?

My loghost server is running Centos with logwatch version 7.3 dated 3/24/06.

If I installed the logwatch 7.3.6 release would that help resolve my
problem?

Dennis  dbstoker at gmail.com