Differences: SOPAC "Beta" Rules-> Standard SWWAS Rules
I happen to have a very old/rare "beta" edition of the SWWAS series rules that
is different than most other versions (definitely every game after SOPAC has
the newer final rules). I went through the manuals to find all of the differences
and summarized my findings here (I don't mention a variety of minor wording
- Sections 6.31 Stacking Limitations and 9.61 Combat:
Multiple-ship counters now count as one light ship (they were counted as two in SOPAC).
- Section 7.8 Aircraft Carriers: The cleaned up the language in this section
so that it is clear. Before I think you could have interpreted it two
different ways. It is now clear that when a primary or secondary
gun is hit on an aircraft carrier, the regular damage occurs (i.e. passes
through to AA or Tertiary) in addition to losing one flight deck box.
- Section 9.51 Cargo Capacity: Large transports now have a cargo
capacity of three.
- Section 10.54 Mission Assignments: Transferring aircraft now increase
their range by 25% (in SOPAC you just added 4).
- Section 10.8 Combat Air Patrol: The range for CAP interception attempts
is now two zones regardless of the range of the aircraft on CAP (it used to be 1/8th
of the range, up to a maximum of two zones).
- Section 15.7 Coal Fuel: new section saying coal-fueled ships may not
refuel from oilers. They can refuel at a rate of four fuel boxes per turn in
a friendly port.
- Section 16.5 Submarine Attack: Submarines now hit on a modified 5 or greater.
Please send any and all comments to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can find all of the information I have on Bomb Alley here.